Saturday, January 9, 2010

Orothoxy or Orthapraxy?

Orthodoxy is having correct belief.

Orthopraxy is behaving correctly.

So which is more important in the modern Christian church? Or maybe more specifically, modern Christian faith? Is it more important to attend church (nearly) every Sunday, read your Bible (almost) every day, and pray, or to maybe not do those things so often but to have a real relationship with God.

I began thinking about this last week when my history professor defined these terms for us. That week his lectures were focused around Christianity and its impact on Western civilization. He said that Christianity is unique because it is the only world religion to place such importance on Orthodoxy or having the right belief and doesn’t focus so much on actions. An example of orthopraxy is the Roman religion, which concerned itself with keeping the gods happy and didn’t care so much what one believed.

Is that what modern Christianity has become? One can call him/herself a “Christian” so long as she does x, y, and z. I don’t think it’s more important to read the Bible everyday than it is to have God “in my thoughts” all day. I’m NOT saying that reading the Bible isn’t important. I’m simply saying that I’ve always been taught that I should read my Bible and pray every morning. However, that becomes a routine and as with any routine, eventually, I do it without thinking. That is closer to behaving correctly than it is to believing correctly.

Say, I forget or do not have time to read my Bible for a couple days or longer. That’s bad some might say. During that time, however, what if every day I talk to God during my day and every time I go to make a decision I think about what is God’s will. If my focus is on God all day that way I’m closer to him than if I simply read my Bible and prayed without even thinking just that morning.

I don’t want my faith to be ruled by correct actions and routine. Actions certainly have their place, but these actions should come from having the correct beliefs. I would rather embrace love than rules and regulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment