Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Eating Cheap in College

I'm a poor college student.

I have a cup of coffee and something small (like a bagel or yogurt) for breakfast. Then I take a sliced apple to school for lunch.

When I get home in the evening, I have limited options since I try to save money at the grocery store. Noodles, peanut butter and jelly, frozen pizza, you get the idea.

However, I'm also trying to eat healthy. It's hard. I feel like I have little variety. So, today for dinner I decided to do something different with my pasta. I made a delicious pasta dinner with only three ingredients:

Tomato sauce
Cream cheese
Noodles (I used penne)

I put about a cup of the sauce in a pan, then added about two spoonfuls(teaspoons) of cream cheese. Over low heat, I stirred the sauce while the cream cheese melted, and thickened the sauce.

When the cream cheese was all melted, I simply poured it over the cooked penne noodles.

Simple, but delicious, a change from the mundane, and (most importantly) not expensive. I figure the box of pasta cost me about a $1, the sauce about a $1.50 and the cream cheese $1.20. I can get more than one meal out of these ingredients, so I have a few meals right there for about $1 each. :)

Next time, I think I may try adding some ground beef... or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment