Thursday, April 8, 2010

Flyleaf: Memento Mori

After about four years, and voice troubles for Lacey, I was beginning to think I'd never see another Flyleaf album. Memento Mori has everything I could have asked for from Flyleaf. The songwriting is a step up from their first album, and this is one album that I can put on shuffle in my car and listen to every single track. The only thing slightly disappointing was that most of the tracks are slower paced compared to Flyleaf's previous work. Lacey doesn't scream once. Her singing is still powerful though. Maybe, she is just taking it easy since she had all that trouble with her voice a while back.
"Beautiful Bride" and "Again" are a fantastic pair of songs to open with. They are two of the more forceful songs on the album, and also don't lack in lyric content.

Here you are down on your knees again
Trying to find air to breath
Right where I want you to be again
See and believe


Those lines are from "Again," probably the catchiest song on the album. "Arise," another striking song, reminds the listener that there's some hope still left in the world, and exhorts "Arise and be, all that you dreamed, all that you dreamed."
"Circle" is one of the more moving tracks. It deals with Jesus laying His life down, and the narrator who ends the song asking for forgiveness.

I left his arms empty and tied
Outstretched for me until he died


The lyrics remain with the listener long after the music has stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment