Saturday, April 10, 2010

Summer Dreams

At this point in my life, I’m finding myself struggling between what I want to do and what I think I “should” do. I’m nineteen and already a junior in college. Next spring I will (hopefully) graduate and be thrust (willing or not) into the working world. I have decided that it would be prudent to attempt to acquire an internship this summer. The experience would certainly be valuable and it would probably aide me in finding a job post-graduation. That is what I should do, however, I would much rather take my savings and take a trip to Europe. I want to see and do so many things and I’m becoming more and more concerned that I’m going to graduate, get a job, and get on with my life without accomplishing any of my dreams. I’m young - shouldn’t I have some adventures before I’m bound by work and family?

Ok, I take that back… partly. I’m looking forward to my life post-grad. I hope to eventually write what I want, and eventually have a family. It’s not a terrible thing to want to do some things first though…

So many people I know have already been to Europe, once or twice even! I want to see Paris, and London. I want to drive through the English countryside. I want to see Roman ruins in France. I want to step inside a castle. I want to set foot on Normandy beach and imagine the horror that happened there. I wouldn’t mind experiencing living in an urban environment, but I doubt I ever will. I want to see plays, musicals, and concerts. But. I’m faced with the hard reality that all those things cost money that I don’t have. Money must be earned this summer.

But that’s life, whether I’d like to accept it or not. I’m sure I’ll have the opportunity to do some of those things eventually, I just wish I could do them sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment